ARCHITECT, Italian
(active 1080-1100 in Latium)

Façade

1080-1100
Photo
San Pietro, Tuscania (Latium)

The Etruscan town of Tuscania was founded on an isolated hill and later on it expanded northwards to include other hills. In the Middle Ages the initial settlement was called Civita (city) to point out that it was the centre of the town where the cathedral church of San Pietro was located. The construction of the Romanesque church was begun towards the end of the eleventh century.

The façade is characterized by a main portal, two side entrances, the rose window and a blind loggia. The rose window consists of three concentric circles - probably this may be correlated with the Trinity - and at the corners appear the symbols of the four evangelists.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.