ARCHITECT, English
(active 1082-1106 in Ely)

Exterior view

1082-1106
Photo
Cathedral, Ely, Cambridgeshire

Ely Cathedral is the principal church of the Diocese of Ely, in Cambridgeshire, England, and is the seat of the Bishop of Ely and a suffragan bishop, the Bishop of Huntingdon. It has a cruciform plan with central crossing tower, and it was likewise one of the largest buildings under construction north of the Alps at the time. The construction was started in 1081 and was completed in the 1180s. The 66 m high west tower of the cathedral represents the last, profusely ornamented, stage of Romanesque. The porch and upper parts are already Gothic.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.