ARCHITECT, English
(active 1078-1148 in Hereford)

Interior view

1078-1110
Photo
Cathedral, Hereford, Herefordshire

Around 1080, Robert de Losinga, bishop of Hereford (1079-1095), decided to rebuild his cathedral of SS. Mary and Ethelbert. The ground plan and elevation of the east section, which was consecrated in 1110, followed what had become a well-worn pattern in England: a nave and side aisles were connected to a projecting transept. The east wall of the southern transept arm remains. Further parts were constructed in the first half of the twelfth century. The nave and side aisles - the round pillars in the ground floor are still Romanesque - were not completed until the rule of Robert de Béthune (1131-1148), and the church was consecrated in 1148.

View the ground plan of the cathedral built by Robert de Losinga.

The photo shows the east wall of the southern transept.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.