ARCHITECT, Spanish
(active 1066-1100 in Castile and León)

Exterior view

1066-1100
Photo
San Martín, Frómista (Palencia)

The construction of the church of San Martín was begun in the second half of the 11th century by will of queen Mayor of Castile, as part of a monastery, which has disappeared. The church is mentioned for the first time in 1066, and is stylistically connected to other Romanesque edifices in the province, such as the Cathedral of Jaca.

The church has a typical Romanesque exterior. The three-level façade shows the differing height of the nave and aisles of the interior; at the sides are two cylindrical bell towers. The transept is as high as the central nave. Built to a symmetrical plan, six bays rise under three barrel vaults. Adjoining them flush-gabled transepts lead to the triple-apsed east end.

The photo shows a view from the south-east.

View the ground plan of San Martín, Frómista.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.