ARCHITECT, German
(active early 12th century in the Black Forest)

Owl tower

1100-20
Photo
Monastery, Calw-Hirsau

The Benedictine Order underwent a profound renewal in the tenth century. One of the main centres of the reform was the Black Forest monastery of Hirsau (now a district of the town of Calw in Baden-Württemberg). A new monastery complex was built between 1082 and 1091. In 1692 the monastery was destroyed, only the northern west tower of the antechurch (the owl tower) was spared and this actually dates from early twelfth century.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.