ARCHITECT, German
(active 1140s in Saxony-Anhalt)

View of the nave

after 1144
Photo
Collegiate church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas, Jerichow

In the north of Germany brick became the favourite building material in both religious and secular architecture. After initial use of dressed stone, brick was used in the Premonstratesian church in Jerichow, begun soon after 1144. This was a building with flat ceiling and ascetic, restrained forms.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.