(active 1150-1173 in Rhineland)

Exterior view from the north-east

Palatine church of St. Klemens, Beuel-Schwarzrheindorf

St. Klemens in Schwarzrheindorf near Bonn was originally built by the Cologne archbishop Arnold von Wied as a palatine chapel around 1150, but was converted to a nuns' church in 1173. The exterior is endowed with a rich, taut articulation. The lower walls of the chapel are largely restrained in their decoration, but the upper part is all the more opulent in its ornamentation. There is a dwarf gallery, running around the whole church, and covered by a narrow roof. Above the gallery the main part of the church rises up and reaches a peak in the shape of a powerful tower over the middle of the building.

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.