ARCHITECT, French
(active c. 1135 in Paris)

Interior view

c. 1135
Photo
Saint-Martin-des-Champs, Paris

The important Cluniac church of Saint-Martin-des-Champs was begun under Prior Hugo, who held office between 1130 and 1142. The priory church was completed in 1135, having a choir section with a double ambulatory, topped by a simple ribbed arch. The nave was completed during the 13th century, as was the refectory of the priory. These are the only surviving portions of the monastic complex today.

The photo shows the choir.

View the ground plan and elevation of the choir of Saint-Martin-des-Champs, Paris.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.