ARCHITECT, Italian
(active 1100-1110 in Piedmont)

Interior view

c. 1108
Photo
Duomo, Casale Monferrato

Casale Monferrato Cathedral is dedicated to Saint Evasius. The present Romanesque and Gothic structure was first consecrated in c. 1108, but a previous church from the 9th century stood on the site.

The cathedral has a narthex. The interior has five naves, of which the central one is marked by tall polychrome columns rising two storeys. The ceilings are frescoed, sometimes sky blue.

The photo shows the central nave.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.