ARCHITECT, Italian
(active 1110s in Rome)

Interior view

1118-19
Photo
San Clemente, Rome

The present church of San Clemente was constructed to replace the Early Christian basilica from the 4th century. It was built by the cardinal and priest of San Clemente, Anastasius, who is documented between 1102 and 1125, and it rises above its predecessors's centre and left side aisles. The structure was completed and consecrated around 1118-19. The mosaic decoration of the apse is generally dated to this time. However, recent studies suggest a a considerably later date in the 1130s.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.