ARCHITECT, Italian
(active c. 1134 in Umbria)

Exterior view

begun c. 1134
Photo
Cathedral of San Rufino, Assisi (Umbria)

This church is an example of the development of Romanesque architecture in Umbria, to the south of Tuscany. Its chronology reflects the history of Umbrian Romanesque architecture and intimates the eventual displacement of Italian Romanesque by the Gothic. The church dates from a basilica from the eighth century, which provided a modest setting for the remains of the town's patron saint, the third-century martyr Rufino. Around 1028, it was replaced with another structure, and by 1035 established as the cathedral of Assisi. Around 1134 Bishop Clarissimo hired Giovanni da Gubbio to replace this basilica with the far larger one that stands on the site today.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.