ARCHITECT, Italian
(active 12th century in Apulia)

Exterior view from the south-east

1098-1186
Photo
Cathedral, Trani (Puglia)

Construction began in 1098. It was intended to house the relics of St Nicholas the Pilgrim (who died in Trani in 1094) to whom the church was dedicated. The building was complete by about 1200, except for the bell tower. It was built using the local stone of Trani, characterised by its colour, an extremely light pink, almost white.

The single-tower composition of Trani is particularly well-suited to its site: the tower is counterbalanced by nothing less grand than the Adriatic.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.