ARCHITECT, Italian
(active around 1200 in Rome)

Exterior view from the north-west

c. 1200
Photo
Santa Maria in Cosmedin, Rome

The church was built in the 8th century during the Byzantine Papacy over the remains of the Templum Herculis Pompeiani in the Forum Boarium. A substantial restoration was accomplished in 1118–1124. Its bell tower from c. 1200 is the tallest medieval belfry in Rome.

The church is home to the La Bocca della Verità, an ancient sculpture thought to be a drain covering, located in its portico. In the interior there is a well preserved early medieval choir enclosure and a very fine Cosmatesque pavement.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.