ARCHITECT, Italian
(active 1069-1190 in Palermo)

View from the east

1069-1190
Photo
Cathedral, Palermo (Sicilia)

The Normans arrived in Sicily from France in 1061, and won control over the island over the next thirty years. They engaged in building campaigns to establish their presence in each region in stone. The largest of the Norman building projects in Palermo was the Cathedral, built between 1069 and 1190. Its apse and side elevation are the best evidence how the entire complex would have originally appeared. The other parts were added or changed later.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.