ARCHITECT, English
(active c. 1140 in Cambridgeshire)

Exterior view

c. 1140
Photo
Parish Church, Kilpeck, Herefordshire

The English late Romanesque period runs roughly concurrently with the reigns of three kings, Stephen (1135-54), Henry II (1154-89) and Richard the Lion-Heart (1189-99), though the Gothic style arrived in England during the reign of Henry II with the building of the Temple Church in London around 1160. No large scale buildings were erected during the late Romanesque. The period was spent adding decorative features to the larger churches that had already been started and in building a few small treasures.

Kilpeck Church (aka the Parish Church of St Mary and St David in Kilpeck), located in Herefordshire near the Welsh border, is home to the finest collection of Romanesque sculpture in England. Hugh de Kilpeck, Keeper of the King's Forests, founded Kilpeck's Romanesque church in about 1140. It has survived remarkably intact and unaltered to the present day. The church was given to the Abbey of Gloucester in 1143.

The photo shows a view of the church from the south. The church has a lavishly decorated south portal.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.