(active 1096-1145 in Norfolk)

Exterior view

Cathedral, Norwich, Norfolk

The bishopric of East Anglia dates back to a see that was founded in Dunwich, Suffolk around 630. In 1094, Bishop Herbert de Losinga (1091-1119) moved the see to Norwich, which was safer. Losinga had a part of the Saxon city torn down and started work on a mighty new building in 1096. He lived long enough to see the east sections (a three-storey choir with ambulatory and three chapels, aisleless transept, and first double bay of the nave) completed. Bishop Everardus (1121-1145) completed the nave, fourteen bays long, and finished if off with a simple cross-section façade.

The photo shows a view from the south-west. The crossing tower was the last piece of the Norman cathedral to be completed, in around 1140. It is boldly decorated with circles, lozenges and interlaced arcading. The present spire was added in the late fifteenth century.

View the ground plan of Norwich Cathedral (Herbert de Losinga's building).

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.