ARCHITECT, English
(active 1096-1145 in Norfolk)

Interior view

1096-1145
Photo
Cathedral, Norwich, Norfolk

The bishopric of East Anglia dates back to a see that was founded in Dunwich, Suffolk around 630. In 1094, Bishop Herbert de Losinga (1091-1119) moved the see to Norwich, which was safer. Losinga had a part of the Saxon city torn down and started work on a mighty new building in 1096. He lived long enough to see the east sections (a three-storey choir with ambulatory and three chapels, aisleless transept, and first double bay of the nave) completed. Bishop Everardus (1121-1145) completed the nave, fourteen bays long, and finished if off with a simple cross-section façade.

The photo shows the structure of the nave walls in three zones. The late Gothic rib vaulting was probably preceded by a wooden vault.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.