ARCHITECT, English
(active 1180s in Somerset)

View of the ruins

1184-86
Photo
Benedictine abbey church, Glastonbury

A fire in 1184 made it necessary to rebuild the abbey church of Glastonbury, situated close to Wells. The building project represents a careful attempt to modernize the old. The greatest splendour was reserved for the Lady Chapel, the heart of the abbey and its showpiece. In spite of Late Romanesque decoration and the consistent use of round arches, Gothic innovation were also included. The Lady Chapel was consecrated in 1186.

By the 14th century the monastery was one of the richest and most powerful monasteries in England. The abbey was suppressed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries under King Henry VIII of England.

The photo shows the interior of the Lady Chapel looking east.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.