(active 1174-1211 in Catalonia)

Exterior view

Cistercian convent, Santes Creus (Tarragona)

The building work on the monastery church started in 1174, and the church was consecrated in 1211. The elongated nave and two aisles comprise six bays. It is adjoined by a very narrow transept without aisles, on the east side of which there are four rectangular chapels and the large choir without ambulatory. Both the interior and the exterior are austere and monumental.

The monastery houses numerous tombs of counts and kings and was extended in the late thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries to include residential quarters.

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.