ARCHITECT, German
(active c. 1200 in North Rhine-Westphalia)

Exterior view

c. 1200
Photo
Collegiate church of St. Patroklus, Soest

The mighty single tower was erected by the citizens who had grown wealthy by means of trade and built to assert the independence of the town from the canons. The tower contained the town armoury, and in the nartex was the court porch and above it the council chamber. Single tower fronts, constructed particularly at the west end, were characteristic of parish churches in the following centuries. Bishops' or monastery churches almost always had fronts with double towers or west choirs.

The photo shows the west tower.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.