ARCHITECT, German
(active c. 1224 in Rhineland)

Exterior view from the east

1224
Photo
St. Martin Minster, Bonn

The east choir of the minster at Bonn with semi-circular apse was completed in 1166, whilst the construction of the transept, nave and semi-circular west choir enclosed in a rectangular wall took until 1224.

The towers and apse rise from a single high plinth, which together with the blind arches of the two storeys above lend a unity to the eastern end. The top of the apse is crowned by a dwarf gallery.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.