ARCHITECT, German
(active after 1277-1351 in Schleswig-Holstein)

Exterior view

1277-1351
Photo
Marienkirche, Lübeck

The town of Lübeck was the most powerful town in the Baltic area in the 13th-15th centuries. It was built on a peninsula; its skyline is dominated by six east-facing churches through their seven large spires.

The construction of the Marienkirche began in about 1277 and was completed in 1351. In its ground plan and elevation it is a French Gothic cathedral, yet these elements were transformed into a completely new style. Certain shapes on the design were enforced by the use of as building material.

The photo shows the Marienkirche (left background) and the town hall (foreground).




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.