ARCHITECT, German
(active 1298 in Hessen)

Exterior view

1298
Photo
Castle Chapel, Marburg

In the second half of the 13th century the lands of the Landgrave of Hesse in central Germany were of great importance. The princely palace was in Marburg. Consecrated in 1288, the chapel of Marburg Castle must be counted as one of the most original buildings of its day. As a castle chapel, it was probably planned with two stories, though the lower story was never completed as part of the chapel. The chapel anticipated the architecture of the 14th century in several respects.

The photo shows the choir from east.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.