ARCHITECT, English
(active 1220-1240 in Lincoln)

Interior view

1220-40
Photo
Cathedral, Lincoln

One of the first large buildings to follow Canterbury was the cathedral of Lincoln, rebuilt from 1192 after an earthquake. It had two transepts, an ambulatory with a separate axial chapel, a three-story elevation, and (originally) a sexpartite rib vault. It appears that the master mason of Lincoln wanted to use every architectural form possible and to avoid repeating himself. So Lincoln cathedral became a testing ground which enriched the capabilities of English Gothic. Architects would draw on its repertoire of forms for generations to come.

Especially unusual is the first section to be built, the choir, which was named after its patron, Bishop Hugh of Avalon. It was constructed until 1210 by a master builder named Geoffrey of Noiers. In the nave, constructed between 1220 and 1240, another no less talented architect summed up the experiments of his predecessor.

The photo shows the nave looking east.

View the ground plan of Lincoln Cathedral.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.