ARCHITECT, English
(active 1220-1266 in Salisbury)

Exterior view

begun 1220
Photo
Cathedral, Salisbury

The foundation stones of the cathedral were laid on 28th April 1220. The first part to be completed was the three eastern chapels named for St Stephen, Trinity, and St Peter. The main body of the cathedral was finished by the consecration on 29 September 1258. But the whole project also included the west front, the cloisters, the chapter house, and the (now demolished) detached bell tower. All of these were probably completed by 1266. The cathedral has the tallest church spire in the United Kingdom (123m).

The plan of Salisbury Cathedral is characteristically expansive, in contrast to the compact outline of a French Gothic cathedral.

View the ground plan of Salisbury Cathedral.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.