(active 1290s in Wells)

Interior view

Cathedral, Wells, Somerset

The choir of Wells Cathedral was renovated from 1333 by the master mason William Joy. The three stories are linked by a pier profile whose wave pattern runs all around the pier. The central area consists of a delicate latticework pattern of vertical bars and ogee-arched gabled arcading containing statues. In the vault the boundaries of the bays almost completely disappear and a mesh of liernes spreads over the whole surface, creating lozenges, hexagons, and stars. Walls, windows, and vaults are all covered by a filigree web of fine lines.

The photo shows the choir looking east. The Lady Chapel, completed in 1326, can be seen to the east through the arcades.

View the ground plan of Wells Cathedral.

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.