ARCHITECT, English
(active 13th century in Herefordshire)

Exterior view

13th century
Photo
Priory Church, Leominster, Herefordshire

The Priory Church is dedicated to Sts Peter and Paul. The building was constructed for a Benedictine Priory in about the 13th century, although there had been an Anglo-Saxon monastery in Leominster, possibly on the same site. In 1539 the east end of the church was destroyed along with most of the monastic buildings, but the main body of the church was preserved. Quatrefoil piers were inserted between 1872–79 by Sir George Gilbert Scott.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.