ARCHITECT, German
(active after 1423 in Silesia)

Exterior view

c. 1423
Photo
St. Jacob and St. Agnes church, Neisse (Nysa, Poland)

The church was consecrated in 1198. However, it reached its present form in 1401–30. This 71-meter-high building is surrounded by 19 chapels located between buttresses. In its gothic interior 22 pillars support the ceiling. The church burnt down in 1945 and was rebuilt between the years 1947–58.

The wall of the ambulatory is designed as a continuation of the nave walls of the church and is supported by external pier buttress. The church is dominated by its extraordinary double row of mighty octagonal columns built in alternative layers brick and dressed stone, creating an overwhelming perspective effect.

The photo shows the west front with the bell tower.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.