ARCHITECT, German
(active 1500-1525 in Saxony)

Interior view

1500-25
Photo
Annenkirche, Annaberg

The construction of Annenkirche (Church of St Anna) was begun in 1499, three years after the foundation of the town. Its completion took no more than 25 years, which is amazingly short for a building of this size and quality. The church is a masterpiece of Saxon late Gothic architecture. The tree naves of the hall and the choir are covered by beautiful vaults. The ribs are intertwined to form stars and flowers. The vault blossoms into flower-like patterns.

The building is a typical Central European hall-church, the aisles equal in height to the nave.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.