ARCHITECT, German
(active 1570s in Retz)

Exterior view

1576
Photo
Sgraffitohaus, Retz

Retz is a town in Lower Austria. The stately three-storey corner house on the southern part of the Hauptplatz was built in 1576. Both fronts, those to the main square and those to Kremser Strasse, are completely decorated with figural sgraffito jewellery. In four superimposed image zones, each of the presentation sequences is supplemented with inscriptions. There are scenes from the Greek mythology and the Old Testament between ornamental, area-filling decor.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.