(active 16th century in Celle)

General view

16th century
Altstadt, Celle

Celle is a city in Lower Saxony. The old town, Altencelle, was founded about 1248, and Celle (founded 1292) was the residence (1371–1705) of the dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg. The old town has many fine examples of 16th- to 19th-century half-timbered buildings, including the Hoppener Haus (1532) and the grammar school (1603).

Houses in the Altstadt are half-timbered and stylistically unified, those with eaves built from the 17th century blending in with the older type of gabled houses by the use of projecting storeys, gable ends and oriels. The timbers have ornamental and inscribed friezes.

Half-timber work is a method of building in which external and internal walls are constructed of timber frames and the spaces between the structural members are filled with such materials as brick, plaster, or wattle and daub. Traditionally, a half-timbered building was made of squared oak timbers joined by mortises, tenons, and wooden pegs; the building's cage-like structural skeleton is often strengthened at the corners with braces. This method of timber framing was adapted to both low, rambling country homes and six- or seven-storied buildings in crowded towns.

The photo shows a street in the Altstadt.

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.