ARCHITECT, French
(active around 1570 in Indre-et-Loire)

Exterior view

1570
Photo
Chapel, Champigny-sur-Veude (Indre-et-Loire)

The chapel at Champigny-sur-Veude was begun in the early part of the sixteenth century. It is an interesting example of Late Gothic with Italianate decoration. In about 1570 the Duc de Montpensier added at its west end a narthex of very unusual form. It consists of a barrel-vaulted porch at right angles to the axis of the nave. The walls are decorated with two Orders of full columns, Ionic and Corinthian, each supporting an unbroken entablature. The decoration is fanciful, and entirely French, but the main design of the narthex may go back to the Temple of Diana at Nimes.

The photo shows the west end of the chapel with the narthex.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.