ARCHITECT, Italian
(active 1500s in Venice)

Façade of the Fondaco dei Tedeschi

1505-08
Photo
Canal Grande, Venice

Situated adjacent to the Rialto Bridge and now the main post office of Venice, the Fondaco dei Tedeschi was the most important of the trading centres, comprising apartments, offices and warehouses, which were located on the Grand Canal and leased by the Venetians to foreign traders. It was destroyed in the fire of 1505, and rebuilt by Spavento and then Scarpagnino to designs by Girolamo Tedesco. It was originally decorated by frescoes, on the main façade by Giorgione and the side façade facing the Calle del Fontego by Titian. These have disappeared, although a fragment of Giorgione's work is housed in the Gallerie dell'Accademia. The building was severely restored in the early twentieth century.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.