ARCHITECT, Italian
(active 16th century in Brescia)

General view

16th century
Photo
Piazza della Loggia, Brescia

Piazza della Loggia was designed at the height of the Renaissance, and towards the end of the 15th century the actual construction began. The square immediately became the beating heart of the city both for its position and for the presence of the Loggia, begun in 1489 under the direction of Filippo Grassi (died 1516) and completed in 1574, which became the seat of the city's administrative life over the years.

All around the square there are sixteenth-century buildings in clear Venetian style, quite modest in style, but with a strong visual impact, while in front of the Loggia, in the eastern side, we find the arcades also in Renaissance style surmounted by the Clock Tower, named for the presence of an ancient clock of 1546.

On the southern side of the square we find the old Monte di Pietà building, erected between 1484 and 1489, which has a small Venetian loggia divided into two arches in the lower part, and the main façade adorned with numerous period inscriptions. In the upper part instead it consists of a small loggia with 7 small arches and a balcony (probably used as a pulpit for prayers).

The photo shows the square with the Loggia.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.