ARCHITECT, English
(active 1530s in London)

Interior view

1532-35
Photo
Hampton Court Palace, Richmond upon Thames

Hampton Court was begun in 1515 for Cardinal Wolsey. In 1529 Wolsey thought it wise to make a present of the palace to his king. Henry VIII added to it, amongst other parts, the Great Hall. Now the palace with its courtyard and gate towers is just as completely in the Gothic tradition as the hall with its hammerbeam roof. Of the Italian Renaissance there is nothing but a limited number of ornamental details, the medallions with the heads of Roman emperors on the gate towers and the putti and foliage in the spandrels of the hall roof. They are competently done, but no attempt is made to bridge the gulf between English construction and Italian decoration.

The photo shows the Great Hall.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.