ARCHITECT, Austrian
(active 16th century in Carinthia)

Interior view

1533-98
Photo
Schloss Porcia, Spittal an der Drau

The courtyard has three storeys of arcades running around three sides of the court. These arcades are adorned with sculptural decoration of rich imagination - although not always of outstanding quality - by local craftsmen. Both stone-carving (e.g. in capitals, door frames, figural medallions and reliefs) and stucco (e.g. arcade vaults and interior ceilings) were employed. Door frames are richly embellished, as seen in the photo.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.