ARCHITECT, French
(active after 1605 in Paris)

General view

begun 1605
Engraving
Place des Vosges, Paris

The Place Royale was conceived in 1604 and carried out from 1605 onwards. It was built on the site of the old royal palace of the Tournelles, which was abandoned by Catherine de' Medici after the death of Henry II in the tournament held there. The style of the houses was simple. We find on the ground floor an arcaded cloister. The elevation in the upper storeys has stucco 'chaines' against the brick, and there are very simple dormers. The central pavilion on the south side is taller then the rest of the houses and is more elaborately decorated.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.