ARCHITECT, French
(active 1595-1610 in Yvelines)

General view

1595-1610
Photo
Château, Rosny-sur-Seine (Yvelines)

The Château de Rosny-sur-Seine is a château in the Louis XIII style, situated in Rosny-sur-Seine in Yvelines, on the left bank of the Seine, at a short driving distance from Paris by the road to Rouen. It is famous as the seat of Maximilien de Béthune, duc de Sully, who retired to the old château to heal from his wounds at the battle of Ivry, 1590, and constructed the present building on old foundations in the closing years of the 16th century. It underwent several substantial alterations in the 19th and 20th centuries.

The walls are of white plaster which is relieved with quoins and chaines; the quoins are of stone, whereas the chaines are of brick, an arrangement which gives an effect of variety to the elevation without any use of ornament.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.