ARCHITECT, French
(active 1660s-1690s in Saint-Cloud)

Grande Cascade

1660-65 and 1698-99
Photo
Saint-Cloude (Haut-de-Seine)

The Grande Cascade is located in the garden of the lost 17th-century Château de Saint-Cloud which is located some ten kilometres west of central Paris on the banks of the Seine. It consists of two stone structures separated by an alley: the upper Cascade was built on the drawing of Le Pautre in 1660-65 and the lower Cascade was developed by Hardouin-Mansart in 1698-99. Regularly restored from the 18th century onwards, it was completely redone both in its masonry and in its decorative elements, while respecting the original iconographic program.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.