ARCHITECT, Austrian
(active 1620-1654 in Tyrol)

Exterior view

1620-54
Photo
St. Charles Church, Volders

Hyppolytus Guarinoni, the Austrian physician, theologian, and amateur architect-builder (1571-1654) supervised the building of the Jesuit church of St. Charles Borromeo according to his own plans between 1620 and 1654. His intention was to translate the principle of the Holy Trinity into building. Three chapels branching from the circular central space illustrate the Trinity. The ground plan motif is repeated on a small scale in the tower.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.