(active 1606-1624 in Copenhagen)

Interior view

Rosenborg Castle, Copenhagen

Rosenborg Castle was originally built as a country summerhouse in 1606 and is an example of King Christian IV's many architectural projects. It was built in Netherlandish Renaissance style, typical of Danish buildings during this period, and has been expanded several times, finally evolving into its present condition by the year 1624.

The Long Hall, completed in 1624, is located on the third floor. It was originally intended as a ballroom. Around 1700 it was used as Royal Reception Room and for banquets. It was not until the second half of the 19th century that it became known as the "Knight's Hall".

Christian V had the hall partly modernised with twelve tapestries depicting the King's victories in the Scanian War (1675-1679). The stucco ceiling seen today is from the beginning of the 18th century. Side reliefs depict historical events from the first years of the reign of Frederik IV. The frescos in the ceiling by Hendrick Krock (1671-1738), represent the Regalia.

The coronation chair of the absolutist kings and the throne of the queens with the three silver lions standing in front are also in the Long Hall which also contains a large collection of silver furniture, of which most is from the 17th century.

The photo shows the Long Hall.

View the floor plans of Rosenborg Castle, Copenhagen.

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.