ARCHITECT, German
(active 1704-1734 in Württenberg)

Exterior view

1704-34
Photo
Ludwigsburg Palace, Ludwigsburg

The foundation stone of the palace was laid in 1704 at a site near the seat of under Duke Eberhard Ludwig of Württemberg (reigning 1693 -1733). One year later, the site was named Ludwigsburg. Begun as a hunting lodge, the project became much more complex and gained momentum over the years.

In 1709, the duke established the city of Ludwigsburg directly next to his palace, copying the proximity of Versailles to Paris. Previously, the royal palace was the cramped and outdated Old Castle (Altes Schloss) in the heart of Stuttgart. In 1718, Ludwigsburg temporarily became capital and sole residence of the dukes of Württemberg.

The architects of the transformation of the hunting lodge into a palace were the German Philipp Joseph Jenisch (1671-1736) and Johann Friedrich Nette (1672-1714) as well as the Italian Donato Giuseppe Frisoni (1683-1735). Nette transformed the building into an Itallianate palazzo. The flat-roofed three-storey building was given a pillared portico on the central axis thsat had side entrance arches for coaches. In 1709 Nette added the right wing, a largely unadorned three-storey building with a mansard roof. Three years later he added its counterpart on the left-side. After Nette's sudden death in 1714, Frisoni took over the project and compleeted the construction.

The photo shows the garden front of the palace.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.