(active 1764-1796 in Mecklenburg)

Exterior view

Ludwigslust, Mecklenburg

In 1724 Christian Ludwig II of Mecklenburg-Schwerin commissioned the construction of a cosy princely retreat near the hamlet of Klenow. He called the lodge Ludwigslust (Ludwig's Pleasure). His son Frederick was well traveled and had visited Versailles. When he took over the administration, he conceived the idea of creating something like a Mecklenburg version of the magnificent French palace. In 1764 he moved the princely seat from Schwerin to Ludwigslust, entrusting the project to his newly appointed court architect, Johann Joachim Busch (1720-1802).

The houses in the village were demolished and replaced by a planned estate. The palace, royal chapel, and Schlossstrasse are positioned in axial alignment to each other. The ample park to the west forms a counterbalance to the urban area east of the church-palace axis.

The visual impact of the palace depends on the superelevated central projection, in front of which is a portico with Tuscan columns. Attached to the central section are two wings terminating in narrow side pavilions. The east wing was designed for the duke, the west wing for the duchess.

The photo shows the façade of the palace.

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.