(active after 1714 in Styria)

Exterior view

begun 1714
Pilgrimage church, Graz

A miraculous icon led to the construction of the pilgrimage church of Mariatrost (Our Lady of Consolation). Andreas Stengg (1660-1741) designed a staggered wall-pier church with galleries. The building was finished by his son Johann Georg in 1724.

The pilgrimage church stands prominently on top of the Purberg hill (469 m) in the northeast of Graz. Two front towers (61 m) and a dome, visible from a great distance, are the characteristic attributes of the church, which is enclosed by two projecting wings of a former monastery once occupied by the Pauline Fathers (1708–86) and later by the Franciscans (1842–1996).

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.