MEDIEVAL SCULPTOR, French
(active 1115-1120 at Cluny)

Capital

1115-20
Stone
Musée Lapidaire, Cluny

The Romanesque abbey church of Cluny, demolished between 1798 and 1823, was decorated with sculptures, paintings and mosaics. The unrivalled quality of the Cluny sculpture, its beauty and its role in the subsequent development of medieval sculpture, can be grasped from rediscovered fragments of the choir screen and eight surviving capitals from columns in the ambulatory of the great basilica.

The picture shows a capital from the ambulatory representing the rivers of Paradise.