(active c. 1140)

South portal

c. 1140
Church of St Mary and St David, Kilpeck

Kilpeck Church (aka the Parish Church of St Mary and St David in Kilpeck), located in Herefordshire near the Welsh border, is home to the finest collection of Romanesque sculpture in England. Hugh de Kilpeck, Keeper of the King's Forests, founded Kilpeck's Romanesque church in about 1140. It has survived remarkably intact and unaltered to the present day. The church was given to the Abbey of Gloucester in 1143.

The south portal of the church is the best preserved work produced by an influential school of sculpture in western England during the second quarter of the twelfth century. It is one of the later English Romanesque works.