(b. 1802, Paris, d. 1866, Neuilly)
French sculptor. He was a pupil of his father, Louis Jaley (1763-1838), a medal engraver, and of Pierre Cartellier. In 1820 he entered the École des Beaux-Arts, Paris, winning the Prix de Rome in 1827 with the relief Mucius Scaevola before Porsenna (École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts, Paris). His stay in Rome profoundly affected his style, which was influenced by the sculpture of antiquity and the paintings of Raphael.
After his return to Paris, c. 1834, he contributed sculpture to all the major state building projects of the July Monarchy (1830-48) and the Second Empire (1851-70), including statues of Jean-Sylvain Bailly and Victor Riqueti, Marquis de Mirabeau (both marble, 1833) for the Chambre des Députés, Paris, of St Ferdinand (stone, 1837-39) for the church of La Madeleine, Paris, and those representing London and Vienna (both stone, 1862) for the Gare du Nord, Paris (all in situ).
Jaley also achieved contemporary renown for the elegant, Raphaelesque female nudes that he exhibited regularly at the Salon, with titles such as Prayer (marble, exh. Salon 1831; Paris, Louvre) and Modesty (marble, exh. Salon 1834; Paris, Ministere des Finances).