Frescoes in Sant'Antonio, Padua (1376-79)
by ALTICHIERO da Zevio

The frescoes in the Cappella di San Giacomo (Chapel of St James) in the Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Padua, were commissioned by Bonifacio Lupi di Soragno and his wife, Caterina dei Franceschi. The architecture, designed by the Venetian sculptor and architect Andriolo de' Santi was commissioned in 1372. This chapel was begun in 1372 in a privileged location inside the Basilica del Santo opposite the Cappella di Sant'Antonio (Chapel of St Anthony) and was completed, along with its painted decoration, in 1379.

The frescoes in the chapel were executed by Altichiero from Verona (the huge Crucifixion and some frescoes in the lunettes) and Jacopo Avanzi from Bologna (most of the lunettes of the Life of St James).

Before his stay in Padua, Altichiero painted frescoes in Verona, including the votive fresco of the Cavalli family in Sant'Anastasia.

Preview Picture Data Info
View of the Cappella di San Giacomo
1376-79
Fresco
Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Padua


Crucifixion
1376-79
Fresco, 840 x 280 cm
Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Padua


Crucifixion
1376-79
Fresco, 840 x 280 cm
Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Padua


Crucifixion (detail)
1376-79
Fresco
Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Padua


Scenes from the Life of St James
1376-79
Fresco
Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Padua


King Ramiro Summons the Crown Council
1376-79
Fresco, 840 x 280 cm
Cappella di San Giacomo, Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Padua


Virgin Being Worshipped by Members of the Cavalli Family
c. 1370
Fresco
Cavalli Chapel, Sant'Anastasia, Verona



Paintings by ALTICHIERO da Zevio
Frescoes in the Oratorio di San Giorgio, Padua (1378-84)
Frescoes in Sant'Antonio, Padua (1376-79)



© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.