BEHEIM, Hans the Elder
(b. ca. 1457, Sulzbach, d. 1538, Nürnberg)
German architect. In 1488 he was town architect in Sulzbach, Waldsassen, Neumarkt, and Windsheim. From 1499 he worked in Nuremberg, where he was first appointed inspector of buildings to the city. He constructed large utilitarian buildings (granary, weigh-house, toll-house). His public buildings were conspicuous for their size and functional style. Adam Kraft provided stone detail such as coats of arms and other reliefs for many of Beheim's buildings.
In 1503 Beheim was appointed Master of the Works to the city of Nuremberg for life. He advised on fortifications and renovated and extended public buildings, taking part in 1504 in renovations to the town hall.
Beheim frequently acted as consultant to other cities, visiting Torgau, Coburg and Bamberg in 1494,Forchheim in 1500, and Ansbach (1504, 1510, and 1521-23). In 1518 he was succeeded as architect to the city of Nuremberg by his nephew, Hans Beheim the Younger (died 1535).
Beheim occupies a significant position in the years when styles were shifting from Gothic to renaissance and the focus of architectural activity was moving towards secular buildings.