(b. 1624, Paris, d. 1664, Paris)
French architect, part of a family of architects, brother of Libéral Bruand. In 1644 Jacques Bruand (Bruant) was made architect to Gaston, Duc d'Orléans (1608-60), and was appointed architecte du Roi two years later. In 1646-47 Bruand worked in Paris as master-builder to Antoine Le Pautre on the Hôtel de Fontenay-Mareuil in the Rue Coq Héron. In partnership with his brother Libéral Bruand, he extended the Hôtel Catelan (1659-61), 18 Rue Vivienne. Further works in Paris in the 1650s include the façade of the Bureau des Marchands-Drapiers (now in the Musée Carnavalet) at 11 Rue des Déchargeurs, which was designed as the background to an ornamental sculpture, and the Château du Fayel (1653-60) for the Maréchal de la Mothe Houdancourt. This château is in a 'brick-and-stone' style unfashionable in the mid-17th century, but it has several innovative features: Italianate ceilings, peristyles at the entrance and no moat. Bruand's designs for the Hôtel Jabach (c. 1650) somewhat prefigure the high classical style of French Baroque architecture. Towards the end of his career he appears to have supervised work on the Hôtel de Guéménée.